[wplug] Cool news from FOSDEM

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Mon Feb 4 21:24:45 EST 2013

I don't know if any of you followed FOSDEM over the weekend, but they
showed off some pretty nifty projects.

Wine for Android is coming! That's right - in the future, you'll be able
to run Windows programs on Android devices.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/windows-apps-coming-to-android-with-wine-port/

LibreOffice 4.0, which is due out some time this week, will include
support for an official Android app that lets you control LibreOffice
presentations. Not quite as impressive as Wine for Android, but still
useful nonetheless. Maybe I'll try it out during my presentation at this
Saturday's general user meeting!
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/FOSDEM-Android-app-to-control-LibreOffice-presentations-1796864.html

Mobile Linux is the future. I expect to see more activity like this as
Android builds momentum against its inferior proprietary competition.
--
*Justin S. Smith*
WPLUG vice chair/secretary