[wplug] Thoughts on SOPA and PIPA

Jason Freshwater jdfreshwater at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:29:55 EST 2012

The Biggest problem that leads to piracy are the media companies
themselves.  The main problem is that people want on demand media through
the internet, when that is not available to them, this will lead to more
piracy.  There will always be some piracy, but look at the music industry,
yes sales may be down, but they are still selling albums, just now in a
digital age.  When they got rid of the DRM, it did not stop people from
buying music, they still continued.  The problem is that we now have access
to millions of bands, where there used to be half of that in retail stores,
so big labels are not getting all of the money. When they restrict the way
in which we can use media it just hurts them more than it does us.

Sopa is not to stop piracy, it is to avoid due process on those who may or
may not have downloaded something illegally.