[wplug] Thoughts on SOPA and PIPA

george larson george.g.larson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 07:51:14 EST 2012

Dave Ostroske wrote:
> What's everyone's take on SOPA and the Protect IP Act?
>
> Any supporters? Any opponents?
>
> -- Dave Ostroske

Passionately against it.  As a FOSS advocate, I certainly appreciate the
problems created by piracy.  That said, creating "rules" with such a
broad brush that virtually everyone with a web site is in Jeopardy of
breaking them means that enforcement could only be partial and
arbitrary.  Combined with possibilities like duplicating the Great
Firewall of China means that this offering is not merely draconian but
presents a legitimate threat to the freedom of information.  I would be
willing to support reasonable, well-informed, measures against piracy
but this is not that.