[wplug] UEFI secure boot could prevent New Linux installations

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Sep 29 12:14:28 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 09:28:19PM -0400, Michael Semcheski wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
> > Probably one of the following:
> > 2.) Only buy hardware that supports:
> >    c.) Allow you to disable the secure boot in the kernel
>
> I doubt many BIOS' will not allow you to disable the secure boot feature.

I think the concern is that some cheap motherboard vendor will do the
bare minimum to support running Windows 8 instead of implementing the
full UEFI spec, and subsequently not actually support turning off
secure boot.  I think the current history of how cheap MB vendors
implement various specifications in their BIOS is evidence that this
will happen.