[wplug] Unity

Ed Stewart edstewart1 at verizon.net
Sat May 21 20:44:41 EDT 2011

I have it on a Gateway dual core with a gig of ram and it also runs
beautiful for me Dave, I have used gnome for about 12 years now since
dropping M$ and found Unity a bit different, but that is because of
knowing Gnome by heart. Unity to me takes a bit of getting used to but
works very nice. It is just plain beautiful on my quad core with 8 gig
of ram and the big video card in my desktop. I have Compiz setup and the
eyecandy is great... Ed

On 05/21/2011 08:25 PM, Dave Ostroske wrote:

> On May 21, 2011 6:36 PM, "L. A. Weber" <laweber at verizon.net
> <mailto:laweber at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
> > By the way, what are the member's opinion of Unity?
>
> Here's my two cents.
>
> I installed Natty Narwhal (Ubuntu 11.04), upgrading from 10.10, a few
> days after its release. I have an older laptop, so I wasn't ready to
> upgrade until I was sure that it wouldn't make my machine sluggish. A
> review from ZD convinced me to go ahead with it.
>
> So far, I'm impressed. After a flawless net upgrade and some
> arrangement of the launcher buttons, it's been a joy to work with. I
> tend to use the keyboard a lot, and will avoid using the mouse if
> possible, but Unity has still been a net gain in my user experience.
>
> The launcher buttons present themselves with their own positional
> keyboard shortcuts. (You can define your own shortcuts but I haven't
> delved too far into how to do that.) I like the top-pane menus, though
> I don't love the Mac experience much. The menus are slightly
> inconsistent, though. Most apps (freedesktop.org-inspired apps
> primarily) use the top pane for the menu, but apps like LibreOffice
> and Chromium (which I both love) don't yet, and a recent add-in for
> LibreOffice menus is not yet up to snuff. That may be resolved sooner
> than later, though.
>
> The app indicators have completely replaced the system tray, which is
> a grand improvement. I have indicators for both Ubuntu One and for
> DropBox. A decent system stats indicator would be nice to have.
> There's one out now which is text-based, but I'd much prefer a more
> graphical approach.
>
> There are links online for tweaking Unity's interface, and I used a
> special desktop wallpaper to learn all the keyboard shortcuts for the
> first few weeks.
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/things-to-tweak-fix-after-installing.html
>
> Try a few of the tweaks, installing them one at a time. If a tweak
> doesn't work for you, remove it.
>
> One final note: Unity doesn't replace GNOME. On the contrary, it
> enhances it. This is GNOME 2 that I'm referring to, by the way. I
> don't know if GNOME 3 will underlie the system in future releases, but
> it seems like they'd make a good fit.
>
> I'd like to know what other Ubuntu users think. I'm not expecting a
> mass exodus to Debian or Mint quite yet, tempting as it may be to some
> folks. For now, I'll stick with Ubuntu.
>
> -- Dave Ostroske

An Islamic Terrorist is like a Chinook salmon.
Life is good until the Seals show up!