[wplug] Unity

Weber, Lawrence A Lawrence.Weber at ansaldo-sts.us
Mon May 23 07:18:37 EDT 2011

When I first saw Unity it reminded me of my old MAC desktop turned sideways.  I worked with it for a couple of weeks and then went back to the “classic” Gnome interface.  My first complaint was that it did not work as described.  The launcher bar would not hide and when I tried to drag and drop new apps onto it, the icons would not display (black areas).  After a day of trying they would not drop onto the launcher at all.  So I reinstalled 11.04.  Now they drop but the top menu bar of every window, including the main window is missing.  Reinstalled again.  Now most everything on the interface seems to work.

I typically need to work with multiple terminal windows open.  I found that the launcher will on start one terminal window at a time.  Also being vertical, you can only add a few new apps.  I need to figure out how to shrink the icons.

Finding apps is a chore and I have to resort to the classic-like menu found on the upper right corner.  The Apps window is confusing as it lists too many apps that are available or can be purchased.  There is little organization for the apps that are installed.

Ubuntu 11.04 installations had so many other problems that I had to go back to retry 10.04, and then back to Fedora.