[wplug] Disk permissions

Matthew Zwier mczwier at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:47:13 EDT 2011

Hi Lawrence,

Is this a DOS/Windows formatted disk?  If so, check out the "Mount
options for FAT" section of the man page for "mount".  Notably, uid,
gid, umask, dmask, and fmask.  For example,

mount -t vfat -o uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

If you want all users to be able to write to it:

mount -t vfat -o umask=0777,dmask=0777,fmask=0666 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

If you're mounting a Linux-formatted disk (ext2 or somesuch), you'll
need to mount it as root and change the permissions of the root
directory of the floppy:  chmod a=rwxt /mnt/floppy

Matt Z.