[wplug] Disk permissions

Weber, Lawrence A Lawrence.Weber at ansaldo-sts.us
Mon Jun 13 11:20:44 EDT 2011

I have been trying to mount a floppy disk with user write permissions on Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 14 and 15.  No matter what I try, the disk mounts but with only root having write permissions.

Tried:
Mount to /media/disk
Mount to /mnt/floppy
Added a line to fstab to mount a floppy
Udisks -mount /dev/fd0

These all work except just adding the line to fstab and running mount -a.  However they all mount the floppy with only root write permission.

I was just about to give up when I went back to an old Fedora 9 PC and noticed that I had a disk mount icon on the toolbar.  I used it to mount a disk and the user can both read and write.  I checked and found that it created a mount point /media/disk with 755 permissions, so the user should not be able to write???  I have no idea how the disk mounter icon's code works.

The floppy disks are ms-dos formatted.  I noticed that the old Fedora 9 PC also can mount a network ms-dos file system but the newer distros have the same write restrictions using the same mounting techniques.

Can anyone point me to a reference to how mount and permissions work?  The man page is not enough.