[wplug] Grub help request

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 15 09:17:47 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:49:48AM -0400, Weber, Lawrence A wrote:

> Thanks for the help, I left the default as 1 for now so the default will
> be a known good kernel.  Turns out my problem was in not waiting long
> enough for the new kernel to boot.  The old kernels boot in a few
> seconds, my build takes minutes. I need to look into the compression
> used.
>
> Now my system has four kernel sources, 3 fedora and mine.  Can the older
> fedora sources be safely removed?

You can remove the older kernels with 'yum remove ...'.  Find out what
package owns the kernel entries by running 'rpm -qf
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.*', and remove the packages that correspond to
versions you do not want to have installed.  Using Yum/rpm to remove
the kernel package will safely remove the grub entry, as well as any
extra packages that were installed with that particular release.