[wplug] Verizon blocking port 25 on FIOS

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Fri Jun 4 22:06:10 EDT 2010

On 6/4/10 8:56 PM, Eric Cooper wrote:
> I just noticed that Verizon has started blocking port 25 and that my
> outgoing mail was queueing up instead of being delivered. (Run "mailq"
> to see if it's happening to you!)
>
> Comcast started doing this a few years ago, but I hadn't run into it
> on FIOS until now.  I'm now using the alternate SMTP port 587 and that
> seems to be working OK.

I'm a DSL customer, and they actually did send several emails to my
verizon email account saying they were going to do this, and
recommending you switch to port 587.  I was a little surprised they sent
multiple notices over a few months time instead of just pulling the
trigger.  (Of course many people sending email to third-party providers
don't check their verizon email, but at least they tried.)