[wplug] DNS law?

Douglas Green diego96 at mac.com
Wed Sep 9 21:14:23 EDT 2009

Hi Group-

I understand that I'm not consulting an attorney by addressing your
guys, and that your opinions don't constitute legal advice, etc.
Nevertheless, many of you are pretty well informed regarding internet
and The Law. Besides that, you're all pretty sharp.

Some weeks ago I had a horrible customer experience with an airline.
My issues were completely ignored by customer service, who actually
didn't return email or phone calls. My final step was to register a
domain name and put up a website, documenting the problems I've
experienced with this airline.

The airline owns "theirname".com.mx, but does not own "theirname".com,
which is owned by some other travel-related company. I was able to
purchase "theirname".us, just in time for them announcing US flight
servce (previously, they only operated within Mexico).

Today I got a cease/desist letter from a legal firm out of New York
stating that my website is defamatory, and that I must immediately
remove the website content AND give the airline company the Domain
Name!!!

It's this second point that I'm asking your opinions on- If I own
airline.us, do I have to hand over the DNS to airline.com.mx who
apparently failed to secure the top domain space despite their
"tradename"? As far as the content being defamatory, AFIK if it's True
then it ain't Slander!

Thanks for your (non-legally binding) input! ;)
-Doug

PS- For the morbidly curious: www.volaris.us