[wplug] OT: Going back to school (college/trade)

Duncan Hutty dhutty at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 2 09:15:48 EDT 2009

Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
>> However, I would consider the fact that tools go in and out of fashion
>> quickly, but a good background and good grasp of fundamental concepts
>> will be more beneficial and last a lot longer.
>
> 	Hm, I find it very hard to get through HR people without having a
> college education, in spite of my varied experience.

Oh I don't doubt that, indeed I would be surprised if it were otherwise.

I have 2 comments:

1) Like many aspects of life, you can take a "standard" approach or you
can make your own way according to your own criteria. In the context of
employment, that tends to mean seeking out smaller organisations (and in
particular, organisations with small/no HR departments) or working for
yourself. And if you do so, you'll likely find more and far more varied
options. Given what I know of what you've done, Drew, I'm sure you'll agree.

Also, I was not suggesting that Higher Educational Institutions are the
only way to get educated.

2) In my earlier comment, I was not just referring to the employment
context. Sure, education is beneficial in the context of employment, but
in my opinion, it is far more important than that.
--
Duncan Hutty