[wplug] OT: Going back to school (college/trade)

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Sep 1 21:07:04 EDT 2009

> However, I would consider the fact that tools go in and out of fashion
> quickly, but a good background and good grasp of fundamental concepts
> will be more beneficial and last a lot longer.

	Hm, I find it very hard to get through HR people without having a
college education, in spite of my varied experience. However, I've been
able to work with some pretty good folks on some pretty interesting
stuff anyway. Depends on the shop, and whichever HR person they have
manning the gates -- if they even have an HR person.

	Some shops are more interested in how you fit into the culture, how
well you can learn what they need you to do. These are usually more fun.
Networking, I think, is more important than anything else when trying to
get a gig.

	My experience is anecdotal. I've never landed a job wearing a suit to
the interview, and nobody wants a one-page resume anymore. Only one job
I've had, did someone complain about my long hair.

	Where do you wanna end up? Think about this, and imagine what kind of
job you want. Make sure you have a clear career path, and take the steps
to get there. Gaining some experience may be more helpful than taking
classes.

		Did I mention that I have a recruiter blog?

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.pghwireless.net
drew at zhrodague.net		http://dorkbot.org/dorkbotpgh