[wplug] nokia n900 vs iphone

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 05:23:14 EDT 2009

I have a hard time recommending it, but i think that HTC did a
suboptimal job with the HTC magic. I've been using the Dutch variant
of the HTC Magic for a few months now, and the first thing in noticed
is that performance was horrible. It was slow, it misread my finger
strokes, especially with the on screen keyboard, and it was pretty
much a nightmare to use.

In order to make it useable, i had to install cyanogen's image, and
that leads to a whole boatful of issues. First off, to make a phone
realistically useable, it shouldn't require third party firmware.
Ever.

Second of all, cyanogen has been having issues with Google's lawyers
making it much much harder to produce usable quality images. I know
he's been looking for ways around it, but the legal situation really
makes me doubt Google's ability to be a good steward of a real open
source project, and not just trying to score brownie points while
making Motorola and HTC a fortune.

Third of all, and this is HTC specific, with some of the newer HTC
models, there are issues where you need a specific kernel and drivers
to run any Android on it. HTC won't make the kernel open and that
leaves friends and colleagues of mine in the lurch where they have to
suffer with a bad firmware with no other options.

Another HTC specific issue, but it could be come more widespread is
there is this unfortunate trend of phone manufacturers loading up an
otherwise lovely open source OS with closed source add ons for added
value. My impression of the Android so far is that it's got a long way
to go in terms of real integration with internet services, such as
unifying chat with SMS, unifying contacts and so on. Having few
options but the closed source bits from companies like HTC limits you
a bit further. If you need these things, be prepared to look long and
hard and possibly even do coding. Maybe you're into that though; i
just wish i had the time myself for these things.

One less HTC specific issue i have is that even with a pretty
optimized firmware, i can't load up the home screen with widgets. This
takes away alot of value from the android. When i do load it up,
performance drops noticeably and in order to make it useful again, i
had to remove alot of stuff. Having a minimal setup is nice in some
ways, but i wish there was a way to combine more information into a
few high quality widgets. This goes back to either proprietary bits or
writing my own.

I can't recommend Android so readily unless you see yourself as an
early adopter and a technology enthousiast. The experience wasn't all
ponies as i had hoped. The entire setup still feels a bit immature to
me. It could change in a year though.

-Yaakov