[wplug] Copying Symbolic Links

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Oct 10 21:41:56 EDT 2009

The basic problem is that the FAT32 filesystem which most flash
drives are pre-formatted with doesn't handle symbolic links.  As
noted, you can use cpio for backing up (GNU tar also archives
symbolic links).  Note that maximum file size in FAT32 is 4GB, so
keep an eye on how big your archive is.

Another option is to reformat the flash drive with something like
ext2.  Windows doesn't natively support ext2, but there are
installable drivers to add support (I've never used them so don't
know how good they are): <http://www.ext2fsd.com/>,
<http://www.fs-driver.org/>.