[wplug] GNU GPL License

Bruno Pierri Galvao vendicate at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:13:01 EDT 2009

If I would like to start an online business and not reinvent the wheel, then
could I use a GPL Licensed work with my own added modifications?

For example, if I think I can create a better version of eBay and there is a
GPL licensed eBay look-alike script. Could I take this script, add
modifications and start a business? Of course the code would be unseen to
the public for security reasons but if one were to investigate the code then
they would see that we have left the GNU GPL copyrights in the code and
copyrighted our modifications.

I am confused.