[wplug] Hard Drive Partitions - Windows 7 NetBook

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Thu Nov 26 12:01:20 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 10:57 -0500, Greg Simkins wrote:
> data partition. (Somewhere out there in Cyberspace, it is prohibited
> to have more than 4). I have both Windows 7 and ubuntu

That's because PC's are stuck in the 80s.  We can thank Microsoft for
ensuring that major revisions of products are 100% backward compatible
for 3-4 releases.

Sun Sparcstation OpenBoot Firmware comprehends 8 slices on a disk.
Newer probably more.

On BSD we just cheat and don't use MBR primary & extended partitions.

We implement 'slices' in the UFS/FFS code.  Everything can sit in one
MBR partition, or none at all.

It gets even easier now that we have ZFS.

Not sure why GNU/Linux hasn't caught up.  Simple tricks in stage1/stage2
boot loader and a punch in the back of the head.

Happy turkey day everyone! (*)

~BAS

(*)  Be sure to subjugate and enslave a small ethnic minority
     population, spread disease, proselytize intolerance, spread
     the protestant work ethic, and use fear of consumption to
     control and enslave.

~BAS