[wplug] Hard Drive Partitions - Windows 7 NetBook

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Nov 26 13:42:03 EST 2009

The four-partition limit is probably more IBM's fault than
Microsoft's, as it comes from the PC BIOS.

It's almost turkey time, so just a brief overview:

You can designate one (or more?) of the four primary partitions
(/dev/sda{1,2,3,4}) as an "extended" partition.  This partition is
used as a container for one or more "logical" partitions
(/dev/sda{5,6,7...}).

A good approach is probably to make /dev/sda4 an extended
partition, then create logical partitions within it for Ubuntu
and the "storage" area.

Booting Linux (using GRUB or LILO) from a logical partition works
just fine.  I'm uncertain if Windows can handle booting from or
having its system files on a logical partition, so I'd recommend
keeping it on a primary partition.  Same thing goes for the
recovery partition.

I think Windows should have no problem recognizing the "storage"
area being on a logical partition.

I have had excellent success using GParted to move and resize
partitions containing data.  I haven't used it on NTFS-formatted
partitions, but my understanding is that even those are well
supported these days.