[wplug] DRM-free listening - recommendation request

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sat May 30 23:12:19 EDT 2009

On Saturday 30 May 2009 9:52:28 pm Beth Lynn Eicher wrote:
> I'm interested buying an mp3 player that is DRM-free with an mp3
> online store that is DRM-free too. The management of moving the songs
> from a Ubuntu computer to the player is a must. An easy mount and
> dragging and dropping the files in a GNOME gui is acceptable. A gui
> music manager is preferred.

MP3s cannot have DRM.  Just don't buy files with DRM, and any player will play
them.  Or do you want a player incapable of handling DRM?  If that is the
case, I do not believe such a thing exists.

> While you are considering this recommendation, think about what would
> be interesting and attractive for a 10 year old child. The whole setup
> needs to cost under $100 so that its not a huge deal if it gets
> broken/stolen.

The only MP3 players I've ever seen under $100 are the sort that look like
flash drives with a few extra buttons and *maybe* a tiny screen that can show
the title.

> Then consider what would be good for an adult with a bigger budget who
> wants something easy to use. Video playing too is a *huge* plus but
> not required. The adult will want to buy audio books too.

In this case, I'd look at Cowon's offerings.  They're Ogg Vorbis & Flac capable
(though I don't think they can do Theora) and can use either MTP (Windows
Media Player, Amarok, Rhythmbox, Banshee...) or drag n drop.  If my Cowon
iAudio 7 ever kicks the bucket, I want a Cowon D2
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_D2_feature.php (NewEgg sells
them).  Oh, and when they advertise that the D2 goes 52 hours between charges,
I'd believe them.  My iAudio is advertised at 60-hours, and when I had a
commute to work over an hour each way spent listening to it, I only charged it
once a month.  And yeah, the D2 can do audiobooks from Audible.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo