[wplug] Global Linux Meeting March 7 Sat BerkeleyTIP -Global - For Forwarding

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 09:02:00 EST 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:22 AM, john_re <john_re at fastmail.us> wrote:

> And, here's an even other (perhaps superior) option for everyone -
>
>  Any one who doesn't want info about BerkeleyTIP
>  or from me,
>  just put in an email program filter to take those messages out.

 The issue here is that our lists are used by our group's members and anyone
who wants to associate with our group.  If there were 10 similar
announcements to yours every day on our list, we would make an effort to
eliminate them.  Obviously that's an extreme example.

We have a mailing list specifically for announcements (wplug-announce).
Traditionally, this mailing list has been used for discussion, trouble
shooting, and things of that nature.

To me, the announcements about the Berkeley TIP seem to be of dubious value
for members of our community.  If there's a consensus that these
announcements needs to stop being sent to wplug at wplug.org, then after
worthwhile deliberation they'll stop.  But I'm not seeing a consensus, and
this is not a case that warrants the iron fist (+3 pride) of executive
retribution.

Mike Semcheski
Chair, Western Pennsylvania Linux User's Group