[wplug] User Name and Desktop Effects

Weber, Lawrence A Lawrence.Weber at ansaldo-sts.us
Tue Jun 30 15:28:27 EDT 2009

A couple of questions:

1.  I am running Fedora Core 9 on a desktop PC with "Desktop Effects"
enabled (Gnome).  It is cute and somewhat handy.  I know that if I mouse
off of the top right of a full screen app that all open apps will shown
as greyed out windows on the desktop.  However apparently there is
another way to cause this to occur as I stumble upon it when using
multiple non-full screen apps.  Any idea how to trigger this?  I check
several websites but these features are not documented.

2.  More important.  I created a second user on my PC named "uss".  When
I go the the login screen it shows only my username, "other" and
"other".  When I point to the first "other" the tag shows uss and I can
log in.  Also when trying to get out of the screen saver mode the window
displays the user name as "USussS".  The password works and everything
else about the account is ok but this is screwy name display is
confusing others who share this account.

Lawrence. A. Weber
Consulting Engineer

Ansaldo STS USA, Inc.
Union Switch & Signal Building
1000 Technology Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15219-3120
USA
Telephone:  1-412-688-2319
Telefax:  1-412-688-2398

www.ansaldo-sts.com <http://www.ansaldo-sts.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY:
This message is strictly confidential. Its content and use is restricted
to the designated recipient(s). The use, copy, reproduction or
transmittal by any process or means without prior written notice of the
author or Ansaldo STS USA, Inc. office of the Legal Counsel is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in a transmission error,
please inform the sender immediately and destroy any copy, saved file or
print you have erroneously made.

PRIVACY:
Meeting the needs and expectations of our customers and employees has
always been our highest priority and that includes protecting their
privacy in compliance with local, state and federal laws and in
accordance to Ansaldo STS USA, Inc. Privacy Code.

ENVIRONMENTAL NOTE:
IN SUPPORT OF OUR ENVIRONMENT, WE RECOMMEND NOT PRINTING EMAILS EXCEPT
WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY