[wplug] White screen of death

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jul 31 14:37:00 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:55:18PM -0400, Weber, Lawrence A wrote:
> I am running Fedora 9, with two user accounts.  When I switch users I
> frequently get a white screen, with an active cursor arrow.  Is there a
> way to recover from this other than rebooting?

Rather than rebooting you could always kill the X server by hitting
Control-Alt-Backspace.  You'll lose your session but you don't need to
power cycle it to recover.  Most likely it'll just bring you back to
the login screen.

If Control-Alt-Backspace doesn't work, then most likely your video
display is wedged and you'd need a reboot anyway.  (Or you've got the
DontZap option set in the Server section of your X config, but I don't
think that's the default for Fedora 9.)

It sounds like you've encountered a bug of some sort.  Unfortunately,
I don't think you're getting any more bugfixes for fedora 9 anymore.