[wplug] Verizon Fios & static IP

Terence J. Golightly t.golightly at verizon.net
Wed Jul 8 21:55:35 EDT 2009

First off,

Thanks for all your replies. Next see below:

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 11:31 -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 07:20:30AM -0400, Andrew Fisk wrote:
> > If it makes you feel any better,  according the the folks that did my
> > FIOS install "you can't use Linux to connect to the internet".
>
> Nah. If you're just using the FIOS broadband service, not FIOS-TV, you
> can remove the Actiontec completely and use any Linux router.

No TV yet, but maybe in the future...

> You need Cat5 rather than MOCA cabling between the optical box (ONT?)

Ok MOCA is MM over Coaxial.  I received  with my three different "new"
Actiontec's a white/cream colored ethernet cable and a yellow cable.  I
thought yellow signified a crossover cable. But that is what verizon
wants me to use for my router to pc connection.  The creme colored cable
was for the connection from the wall to the router.

OK ONT  is optical network terminal. Since I'm not using coax
connection.  Can I assume the white cable is a standard CAT 5 patch
cable as stated on the cable itself. Or something specific to verizon.

> and your router (unless you use a relatively expensive MOCA-to-Ethernet
> bridge -- Netgear and DLink both make them).

Ahh, I don't think I'm going this route.

> If you didn't ask for Cat5 at install-time, you can still change it
> yourself.  Here's a good description of what to do:
>
> http://www.slavepits.com/2009/06/ditching-verizon-fios-actiontec-router.html

Perused that. I may ditch it.

> And here's a discussion on how to keep the Actiontec for FIOS-TV only,
> but use a Linux router for data:
>
> http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r19559467-How-To-MI424WR-Network-Bridge-working-FIOS-TV

This posting is over a year old.  Is it still relevant?  My new router's
software has been changed/"upgraded" and configuration appears to be
different.

>Nah. If you're just using the FIOS broadband service, not FIOS-TV, you
>can remove the Actiontec completely and use any Linux router.

> The only problem with this is a MAC address bonding issues with your
> ONT.  Verizon likes to "accidentally" enable this, but Verizon tech
> support can release the bond on the ONT if you ask them sternly and
> ignore their cries of "it's not neeeded."  The big symptom of it being
> enabled is that your drop in replacement router or system won't get an
> IP at all and your ONT box will possibly show an error light depending
> on the model of equipment that they give you.  Thank you Tier 3 @
> actiontech for helping me.

Thanks again,

Terry