[wplug] Verizon Fios & static IP

Brian A. Seklecki bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com
Wed Jul 8 12:37:10 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 11:31 -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 07:20:30AM -0400, Andrew Fisk wrote:
> > If it makes you feel any better,  according the the folks that did my
> > FIOS install "you can't use Linux to connect to the internet".

The trick is that the DVR uses DHCP and IPv4 to fetch channel meta data
via XML, sot it has to subscribe.

What Verizon generally does (cheeky bastards) is put Ethernet frames
back onto the COAX in your house by putting a the COAX port into the
"LAN" VLAN/Bridge on the Actiontec.

I don't know if the DVR can do ethernet over the Cat5/UTP port without
kicking it.

~BAS

--
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com>