[wplug] Several questions

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 13:47:33 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Weber, Lawrence A <laweber at switch.com> wrote:
> I am finding that my choice of Linux distribution is not always mine to
> make.  The tools suppliers will not test on all distros so they pick one
> or two.  They offer only support when their tool is installed on those
> tested.  As is I still need to transfer zImage to a windows PC to
> download to the target systems.

Everybody has their own favorite distribution, and they each have
their own reasons why its their favorite.

You'll find Redhat / CentOS / Fedora are all fine.

One thing you may want to look into is the man page for the rpm
command.  You can do:

rpm -qif /usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.9-xyz

and it will tell you which package owns that directory or file.  That
might help you to figure out what is left over from FC6 and can be
removed.  Then, use rpm to remove that package from your system.

Also, you can use yum for many of the things that rpm does.  (yum is
almost like a front-end for rpm).  yum can also query packages in
remote repositories, install them, and resolve dependencies.

Hope that helps,

Mike