[wplug] NAS Appliance recommendations

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Mon Aug 24 10:53:17 EDT 2009

There are several ways that Drobos deal with running out of disk space.
Most of which I've found to be pretty satisfactory:

1) There is a plugin for explorer and finder that lists the true amount of
space left.  Under linux there is the command "drobom" that can be used to
monitor your space left.

2) When you're running out of disk space, the drobo will illuminate its case
with a yellow light by the smallest drive -- indicating that drive needs to
be replaced.

3) as you get really close to running out of space, drobo exponentially
slows downs writes to the disk.  So, at 97% you take a small hit in write
speed, but at 99% it's REALLY REALLY SLOW.  I've tried and have never gotten
to the point where the drobo says it's out of disk space.  It just slows
everything down a lot.  I guess this is so other users will notice how slow
it is and pester you until you actually upgrade the drive.

This issue of is common with most systems that allow on the fly expansion.
The main reason is because most filesystems don't tolerate expansion without
unmounting them first, however, that can be a real pain because you then
need downtime.  It's a tradeoff here.