[wplug] PXE Netboot

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Sun Nov 2 18:24:41 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 05:16:54PM -0500, Roland Hess wrote:
> For a personal project, I'm trying to learn netbooting via PXE (using
> DHCP on the server side, not BOOTP). My eventual goal is to be able to
> netboot machines into a live (non-HD installed) Ubuntu server
> environment. I've been doing the background reading on the procedures
> and what you need to do, etc. I'm sure I can eventually clobber my way
> through the entire thing, but if anyone on this list has some experience
> with PXE netbooting and wouldn't mind me picking their brain or getting
> a clarification when I run into a snag it would really help me out.

I use PXE netboot a lot at work.  I'll save you a lot of frustration
and suggest you start using DNSMasq[1] for DHCP and TFTP (and DNS too, if
you'd like).  With DNSMasq, you can serve out a PXElinux[2]
bootloader, which can refer to the standard Ubuntu install kernel and
initrd for installs, or a custom one for a network live system.

I like DNSMasq because it is managed by simple text files, like
/etc/hosts and /etc/ethers.  Unfortunately, most of the documentation
out there refers to isc DHCPd and the tftp daemon run out of xinetd.