[wplug] WedDAV, SFTP, chroot, oh my!

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:10:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Scott F. Kiesling
<kiesling+ at pitt.edu<kiesling%2B at pitt.edu>>
wrote:

> I have gone back to SFTP, but I am not clear on how to use
> the ChrootDirectory in OpenSSH to limit the directories my
> users can get to (without limiting my own ability to ssh
> into the box without a chroot jail). I do not want to let
> them roam the entire directory structure and delete
> something important.

 I don't know ArchLinux, but generally speaking, users who are not root
can't delete important things.  Really no need to chroot unless you are
exceedingly paranoid.

Users connecting to an SFTP server don't have magical permissions that they
wouldn't otherwise have.

Mike