[wplug] municipal networks in PA

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Thu May 1 15:54:12 EDT 2008

Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
>>> So, how are you, personally, being directly affected by this?
>>>
>> Perhaps because this sets a precedent and it may be implemented in your
>> municipality in the near future.
>
>  	I find it amusing that a non-profit can do what a
> multi-billion-dollar corporation can't, and cheaply.
>
>  	Maybe I misread the article, but how are tax dollars being spent
> on this?
>
>  	Also, didn't us Pennsylvania taxpayers give Verizon like 15
> billion dollars to build out fiber?

That is more or less correct.  It was killed with PA House bill 30 in 2004.
  I wrote some about back in the day:

http://patrick.wagstrom.net/weblog/politics/paHouseBill30.xml

There are some ways around it, but basically, Verizon promised to wire up
the state 10 years ago, and still haven't done it, yet they keep on getting
favorable decisions.