[wplug] cores

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 14:43:50 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Jonathan S. Billings

>  I'd like to add that you can continue to use a 64 bit kernel and 32
>  bit apps.  On our clusters, we only use 64 bit kernels, even though a
>  lot of users have 32 bit only codes.  It makes sense if you have a lot
>  of RAM, in particular.  (A lot being defined as over 4G.)
>
>  On my workstation, I use an i386 firefox, and everything else x86_64.

Ah so if I install a 64-bit Linux kernel users could still run 32-bit
apps transparently? I am just wondering how much of a gain, if any,
one gets by moving to a 64-bit kernel. I heard that code will "run
faster" or do that only apply to optimized assembly language routines
and not code written in higher level languages? Have you run any
stress tests on your 64-bit kernel and compared the results to those
for a 32-bit?

Zach