[wplug] Verizon FIOS experience with Linux?

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Sat Jun 28 17:26:48 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 11:59 -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> In its default setup, the ActionTec router has WiFi enabled, acts as a
> DHCP client over the WAN, and provides DHCP service and NAT routing to
> the LAN side.

Bah.  Verizon.

In my experience, the default "LAN" interface is bridge0 -- actually
composed of the logical 4-port switch, wifi, and LAN COAX ("MOCA"?)

The piece of crap DVR needs to steal your Broadband/IP bandwidth to
download menu data.  It will do a DHCP client lease on either its UTP or
Coax LAN I understand.

They can build all those slow-ass fancy looking menus but can't build
801.11 into it?  Anyway, they transmit ethernet frames over your old
coax cable, so two coax connections are required.

I'm not sure why they can't download that menu data over a private VLAN.
What happens if you don't buy broadband?  Your IP/Ethernet frames are
just going to encapsulated and handed off as ATM anyway.

The whole architecture is designed terribly.  But what else do you
expect from ma bell?

Their only saving grace is that they unambiguously mock Comcast in their
commercials.  When you have billions in capital from decades of
government subsidies, you can hire enough lawyers to do that with
impunity.

~BAS