[wplug] Affordable Lnux based web hosting?

Andrew Fisk andy at spitcomp.com
Thu Jul 31 12:40:31 EDT 2008

Not sure what you want to do with your site, but I am not sure that I
would worry too much about your DSL being out -- if your ISP is
Verizon they block port 80 incoming so web hosting as a PITA.  You can
of course pay them an extra $20/month for a static IP and all the
blocks and concerns about bandwidth go away.

I'm not sure if it makes sense financially, but hosting your own stuff
does give you complete control of what you install etc.  Take a look
at what you are going to be hosting -- one of the things that folks
don't realize that when you are hosting, most of your data is going
out rather than coming in so you may not see too much of a performance
hit.  I know we ran an old PowerMac 7300 for my son's boy scout troop
for years with no impact of usage at home -- and we had 6 active users
on the network.

All that said -- if you don't you really need linux hosting (ie you
have a Linux only app???).  pair networks right here in Pittsburgh are
a good outfit with some great tech support and plans starting at
$6.00 / month.

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services
Suite 19