[wplug] domain question

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 20 13:00:42 EDT 2008

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:49:30 -0400
Patrick Wagstrom <patrick at wagstrom.net> wrote:

> Michael Semcheski wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Patrick Wagstrom <patrick at wagstrom.net> wrote:
> >> If it just works, why would I ever need to SSH into it?
> >
> > Its handy to be able to ssh into your server to put or get files.
> > Write a quick program in c or python, even if you're stuck with a
> > windows box and no compiler.  Things like that.

Diagnose hardware, follow up on network attacks, prepare for
downtime, perform software upgrades from remote locations, etc.

> You still haven't answered my question of why I would I ever need to do
> this if the system just works?  I understand that when something isn't
> working properly, you'd need to do that.  For example, if you had a
> mis-tweaked TCP/IP stack or mail server that blew up when transferring
> large attachments.
>
> When technology just works, the way it is supposed to, there isn't a need
> go and compile your own programs or even write a shell script.  It's
> supposed to just work.

Technology just works, yes, so you need not log in remotely to
diagnose.  But hard disks, memory, and other devices may
eventually fail.  It's nice to keep it running so I can
diagnose it.

> For me, and for many other people, Google Apps just works.  And thus far,
> you haven't provided a reason why such a feature would be handy on a mail,
>   calendar, or chat server.
>
> --Patrick

I'll not discuss the validity of Google Apps as it's not
software we've ever used.  But I will comment on the fact
that I love having sshd(8) enabled on servers if for no
other reason than to log in and diagnose rather than drive
to the several locations around here and diagnose them in
person.

--
Tom Rhodes