[wplug] domain question

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 13:00:58 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Patrick Wagstrom <patrick at wagstrom.net> wrote:
> You still haven't answered my question of why I would I ever need to do
> this if the system just works?  I understand that when something isn't
> working properly, you'd need to do that.  For example, if you had a
> mis-tweaked TCP/IP stack or mail server that blew up when transferring
> large attachments.

OK, here are two pretty easy to understand use cases where its real
useful to have a box you can ssh to:

1) You want to gpg-encrypt or decrypt something, and you are on a
foreign computer.
2) You have a source control repository that you want to be accessible
from different computers, without relying on a third party like source
forge.

Nothing to do with tweaking the server.  You don't need root access.
But its still very handy.

> When technology just works, the way it is supposed to, there isn't a need
> go and compile your own programs or even write a shell script.  It's
> supposed to just work.

When technology just works, it allows me to create better
technologies.  Firing up vi (or vim) is part of that.

> For me, and for many other people, Google Apps just works.  And thus far,
> you haven't provided a reason why such a feature would be handy on a mail,
>  calendar, or chat server.

If you're wary of third parties snooping all of your mail...

If you strive to provide better support to family / friends /
associates / customers than Google does...  (Find me the number to
call for support for Google Apps?  That's not free.)