[wplug] Helping an elderly grandmother

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:27:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM, David Tessitor
<davetessitor at pghfree.net> wrote:
> I bought her a 1G flash drive on sale and was thinking it would be nice
> if she could simply plug it into a USB port when home and have her data
> automatically saved to both the hard disk and flash drive without her
> needing to remember to save everything twice in two different places.
>
> So this is a twofer:
>
> 1) I need suggestions on setting up her T-bird on part of the flash
> drive so she can use it cross platform (apple, ms, & linux) with her
> kids various computers when on the road.

Save her Thunderbird profile to the flash drive.  Put the .dmg, the
PortableApp, and the statically-linked Linux binary on it.  Set them
all up to look at the same profile, if possible.  Might have to copy
it into the three places at once though.  See below.

> 2) Is there a way to set up her Linux system to automatically save her
> email and Open Office files to both her hard drive and flash drive
> without her needing to think about it?

Best I can think of there is a launcher on the panel to auto-rsync the
drives.  Add a line cp'ing the profile to the three places that the
three apps need it.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169