[wplug] Helping an elderly grandmother

David Tessitor davetessitor at pghfree.net
Thu Aug 28 10:14:48 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have a friend, an active elderly grandmother, who is using Linux and
loving it when her webmail works correctly.  She travels frequently to
see the kids and grand kids and to go to various conventions. I thought
it would be nice for her to take an installation of her Mozilla T-bird
and Firebird with her on a flash drive.  I also think it would be good
to keep a back up of her other data on it so she can work on it wherever
she goes and in case her hard drive ever fails. She has a relatively
small number of files for organizational letters, agendas, etc. few
dozen.  Her home partition is 1G and is only using a small part of it.
I bought her a 1G flash drive on sale and was thinking it would be nice
if she could simply plug it into a USB port when home and have her data
automatically saved to both the hard disk and flash drive without her
needing to remember to save everything twice in two different places.

So this is a twofer:

1) I need suggestions on setting up her T-bird on part of the flash
drive so she can use it cross platform (apple, ms, & linux) with her
kids various computers when on the road.

2) Is there a way to set up her Linux system to automatically save her
email and Open Office files to both her hard drive and flash drive
without her needing to think about it?

I'd really appreciate help with this.  It would be a big step toward
advancing Linux on the elderly grandmother front, which is the ultimate
test of Linux usability and acceptability.

Dave