[wplug] Verizon FIOS experience with Linux?

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Thu Apr 3 10:27:28 EST 2008

FIOS is now available in my neighborhood, and I'm wondering if anyone
here has it and can answer more questions than Verizon's web site does.

Verizon says they provide a broadband router to connect to the optical
network terminal.  Can anyone tell me what they're using?  Does it
provide DHCP and NAT, or do you talk to it with PPPOE, or what?

Was it possible to get connected without having a Windows PC or Mac to
make the technician happy?

Elsewhere Verizon says they provide a wireless router for a home
network.  Is this a different box or is it the same one that connects
to the ONT?

I'm also curious about any general experience with the service, and
which service level you've used.  (They're currently offering 5M
down/2M up, 15/2, 15/15, and 30/15.)