[wplug] mouse dying?

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:24:37 EDT 2007

Lately my mouse has been randomly dying. X still runs fine but my
mouse cursor disappears. I have to restart gdm to get it working
again. So I'm wondering why this is happening and how to stop it and
if it does keep happening anyone know how to get the mouse working
again without having to restart X?

The only thing I see in my logs is:

(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/psaux"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 9
(**) Configured Mouse: Sensitivity: 1

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
(II) No APM support in BIOS or kernel

And when I tried running xlock it failed saying in the logs:

Oct 25 04:00:23 netrek xlock: xlock, could not grab pointer! (1)
Oct 25 04:00:23 netrek xlock: Stop: zu22, zu22, :0.0, 0m 2s

I run Debian testing release and 2.6.18 kernel with X.Org version
1:7.2-5 and GNOME2 desktop with fvwm2 window manager.

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf has:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Zach