[wplug] Telerama

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Fri Mar 23 08:15:48 EST 2007

>> http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07081/771708-100.stm
>
> I wonder if this phenomenon is echoed across the country regarding
> small-ish ISPs. First the mom-and-pop grocery stores/markets went
> (remember when every few blocks had their own market?) then the big
> box merchandisers like Wal Mart and Kmart etc.
> Small farmers also struggling. Is this the end of small ISPs?

 	Of course. It is overly expensive to purchase a (non-frame) T1,
which only provides (almost) 1.5Mbps. Verizon owns amost all of the wires,
and they get paid *twice* for their use. Right now, telephonics are
pretty-much the only way to get Internet service.

 	Technical support is the next biggest cost in terms of providing
Internet service. Notice how much each of the players put into their
support.

 	This is another reason to lite-up the dark fiber. If you can buy
some unused strands, you don't need to pay a monthly fee to use it. Then
again, it seems that lots of businesses that own dark fiber, would rather
have them stay dark, than either sell or use it themselves.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net