[wplug] application/framework to record heterogeneous personal information

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 22 14:03:56 EST 2007

Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> Just curious, have you tried Quicken under Wine or on Linux, or has
> anyone else?  I really liked its ability to pull in statements from my
> financial institutions automatically.
>
> Does MoneyDance do this?  Does it work well, or as well as Quicken?

I'm a very satisfied MoneyDance user, having used it for the past two
years to track my finances.  Like Rick said, for the most part, if your
bank offers electronic access for quicken, you can get it to work in
Moneydance.  However, it's not obvious for every bank.  I've had no
problem getting my NetBank, Discover, Citi, and Chase accounts working,
but PNC is a devilish nightmare that never has worked properly.

The biggest issue you'll have with MoneyDance is getting support from
the bank for when you have problems.   In that respect, it's a lot like
Linux, it works with most things, but you'll have a horrible time trying
to get support.

--Patrick