[wplug] setting up two wireless networks

Rick Reynolds rick at rickandviv.net
Sat Mar 17 19:50:24 EST 2007

I'm looking for some howto or other recipe that will show me how to
setup two different wireless networks in my house.

I have friends that come over that don't bother protecting their
internet connection at their house.  So they're not familiar with
setting up encryption, etc.  They don't see my network available
(because I'm not broadcasting my SSID) and it's always a bit of a hassle
to help them get connected.

I think a better way to go is to setup a second wireless network.  It
would be open, broadcasting its SSID, but would provide some firewalling
from nastiness on the internet itself (IP spoofing, etc. - a standard
set of firewall rules).  But most importantly, anyone on the open
network would not be able to see computers on the encrypted network
(where my computer will be, plus others in the house -- my file server,
etc.).

I have just one internet connection, so both networks will eventually
end up connecting to my main router.

Anyway, unless folks on this list want to walk me through this I won't
bother with describing my current network setup much further.  Just a
plea for some places to start my reading.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
  "If you're a mad scientist, you can use GPLv2'd software for your evil
plans to take over the world ('Sharks with lasers on their heads!!'),