[wplug] setting up two wireless networks

DK curlynoodle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:00:38 EST 2007

Rick Reynolds wrote:
> I'm looking for some howto or other recipe that will show me how to
> setup two different wireless networks in my house.
>
> I have friends that come over that don't bother protecting their
> internet connection at their house.  So they're not familiar with
> setting up encryption, etc.  They don't see my network available
> (because I'm not broadcasting my SSID) and it's always a bit of a hassle
> to help them get connected.
>
> I think a better way to go is to setup a second wireless network.  It
> would be open, broadcasting its SSID, but would provide some firewalling
> from nastiness on the internet itself (IP spoofing, etc. - a standard
> set of firewall rules).  But most importantly, anyone on the open
> network would not be able to see computers on the encrypted network
> (where my computer will be, plus others in the house -- my file server,
> etc.).
>
> I have just one internet connection, so both networks will eventually
> end up connecting to my main router.
>
> Anyway, unless folks on this list want to walk me through this I won't
> bother with describing my current network setup much further.  Just a
> plea for some places to start my reading.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick Reynolds

Rick,

Unless you are operating a coffee shop or other "free-wifi" venue, I do not
recommend setting up an open wireless AP.  Simply put, its a way for malicious
people to exploit your computing resources.  I suggest being a security advocate
and help your friends understand not only the technical methods but the
principle reasons for properly securing a personal wireless network.

My two cents,
Dave