[wplug] LUG Interest Waning?

Michael H. Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:13:26 EDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
> Long ago, I was a member of the WPLUG board, so I was involved with some
> of the advertising on campus.  I even posted to cmu.misc.markets a
> couple times.  We never got many CMU students anyway, either they're not
> interested in linux (unlikely) or we didn't find the right venue.

I don't want to sound negative, but I think that shows part of the
problem.  You advertised on campus and even to cmu.misc.market.  There
are at least four campuses within two miles of where the meeting was
held.  But "campus == CMU campus".

There are tens of thousands of engineering and biotech students at
Pitt.  And staff and faculty.  And then there's Carlow, Chatam, Robert
Morris, ACCC, Point Park, and probably more.

And probably the largest portion of the prospective membership are
people who aren't affiliated with any of the University's.