[wplug] LUG Interest Waning?

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jul 24 14:24:30 EDT 2007

Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> On 7/24/07, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
>> Long ago, I was a member of the WPLUG board, so I was involved with some
>> of the advertising on campus.  I even posted to cmu.misc.markets a
>> couple times.  We never got many CMU students anyway, either they're not
>> interested in linux (unlikely) or we didn't find the right venue.
>
> I don't want to sound negative, but I think that shows part of the
> problem.  You advertised on campus and even to cmu.misc.market.  There
> are at least four campuses within two miles of where the meeting was
> held.  But "campus == CMU campus".

FWIW, I was only advertising to CMU because I was a CMU employee and
those were the resources I had available.  I wasn't trying to be
exclusive to CMU, just using CMU's resources for WPLUG's benefit.

And anyway, I've often heard from Pitt students that they'd never go
near CMU campus because it was "boring" or "uncool", and that we should
have WPLUG meetings closer to Pitt because they'd be more willing to
show up.

> There are tens of thousands of engineering and biotech students at
> Pitt.  And staff and faculty.  And then there's Carlow, Chatam, Robert
> Morris, ACCC, Point Park, and probably more.
>
> And probably the largest portion of the prospective membership are
> people who aren't affiliated with any of the University's.

You're painting my comments as if the whole of WPLUG's advertising was
toward CMU students, and excluding any other university or non-students.
  I'm just going to ignore the trolling.