[wplug] My distro beat up your distro (yet again, sigh) -- WAS: OS X on Linux?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 23 16:46:54 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 16:32 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> [...]

Yep, it was called the "legacy free PC" and assorted non-sense.  Tout a
better, newer API, then make it undocumented and proprietary as hell.

Not just to prevent Linux from running, but to prevent newer Windows
OSes from running on older hardware -- thus requiring new hardware for
new software, ala the PC OEM/superstore 2-3 year profit model.

Over 90% of American home consumers accept it.  They want that faster,
newer computer every 2-3 years, and have gladly accepted that a printer
or other peripheral upgrade, or some software package, will force them
to upgrade their OS, hardware, etc...

But the majority of businesses do not, and Microsoft Gold Partners have
had a hell of a time selling corporations on new products and lifecycles
that require them to replace _all_ systems and software every 2-3 years.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com