[wplug] My distro beat up your distro (yet again, sigh) -- WAS: OS X on Linux?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:32:27 EDT 2007

From: Bill Gates
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 1999 8:41 AM
TO: Jeff Weslorinon; Ben Fathi
Cc: Carl Stork (Exchange); Nathan Myhrvold; Eric Rudder
Subject: ACPI extensions
One thing I find myself wondering about is whether we shouldn't try and make
the "ACPI" extensions somehow Windows specific. It seems unfortunate if we
do this work and get our partners to do the work and the result is that
Linux works great without having to do the work. Maybe there is no way Io
avoid this problem but it does bother me. Maybe we could define the APIs so
that they work well with NT and not the others even if they are open. Or
maybe we could patent something related to this.

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/ go to "other admitted
exhibits" then it's number PX 3020

On 7/23/07, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> > On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 13:00 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> >> Eh it's an annoying bug...possibly in ACPI (guessing)...
> >
> > There is a lot of poorly documented ACPI with various issues.
>
> Yeah, if your ACPI is busted, it's not entirely Linux's fault.  In many
> cases, if the hardware is designed properly, then Linux can go about
> figuring out how to do just about everything.  However, many motherboard
> manufacturers tend to cut corners and this causes problems.
>
> For example, I really like MSI motherboards, they tend to be quite
> good.  However, they almost always skip the ACPI power definitions in the
> bios for dual core processors, which means you have two choices: use their
> windows drivers, or figure out how hack your ACPI table.
>
> If you're feeling adventurous, I wrote a long article about how to do this
> about a year ago:
> http://patrick.wagstrom.net/weblog/linux/custom-powersaving-kernel-for-profit.xml
>
> It actually saves me more than $60/yr, so it's been well worth it.
>
> --Patrick

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683