[wplug] My distro beat up your distro (yet again, sigh) -- WAS: OS X on Linux?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:00:06 EDT 2007

On 7/23/07, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 12:19 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > An unfortunate side-effect of Debian's stability is that when bug
> > fixes happen that let it work on more hardware, they don't necessarily
> > get in.  Is Lenny stable-ish enough to use?
>
> I try to focus on the absolute positives of any distribution approach.
>
> Everything else is far less objective, subjective and open for
> individual interpretation -- one that is often influenced greatly by
> familiarity more than anything.
>
> In fact, I provided a perfectly poor example in my GNOME post with the
> snide comment about "the other OS" -- it was in poor taste and I should
> know better.

Eh it's an annoying bug...possibly in ACPI (guessing)...that I know has been
fixed at some point in the last year.   Lenny probably has the fix, but I've
been inconvenienced (mildly, I suppose...no cd burning, but it meant I
couldn't burn a disk to do a clean install) by unstable before (some bugs
that were fixed during Ubuntu's unstable period decided to stick around on
my computer), so I'm wondering how close or far from stable "Testing" is.
Are there large breaks to be expected still, or is breakage rather uncommon
and usually minor?  I'm thinking about dist-upgrading to get rid of the
system lockups.  That's what finally got rid of them on Ubuntu.  I just
don't want to run anything that's not reasonably stable.  I need my laptop
for school and the other computers need to be not going nuts for my family.
I don't mean to be putting down Debian, it's just annoying knowing there's a
fix out there somewhere, just not there.  I wanted to try Debian because of
the stability.  There are tons of bugs left after Ubuntu release dates, and
that Debian maintainers refuse to release until it's really done sounds like
a good deal to me...too hard to decide between stability and new goodies
though.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169