[wplug] My distro beat up your distro (yet again, sigh) -- WAS: OS X on Linux?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 23 14:06:07 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 13:00 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> Eh it's an annoying bug...possibly in ACPI (guessing)...

There is a lot of poorly documented ACPI with various issues.

Fedora has sorted "pushed" an 'opt-in profiler' "on everyone" (I say
"pushed ... on everyone" because, to be fair to some Red Hat-naysers --
and I'm a known Red Hat apologist so I have to be impartial -- some
people view it as a privacy issue to even include such, even 'opt-in')
to try to document as much as they can about different hardware --
especially when it comes to feedback on suspend/hibernate.

> I don't mean to be putting down Debian, it's just annoying knowing
> there's a fix out there somewhere, just not there.  I wanted to try
> Debian because of the stability.  There are tons of bugs left after
> Ubuntu release dates, and that Debian maintainers refuse to release
> until it's really done sounds like a good deal to me...too hard to
> decide between stability and new goodies though.

Yes, that's always the problem, but it's really not Debian.

The "root cause" in this case is because "PC OEM" and "superstore"
aligned hardware vendors change specifications every 2-3 years.  The
reason can be found in my "6 things to understand about Linux" blog
article.  ;)

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com