[wplug] CUPS on Debian... pstoraster failing

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:21:13 EST 2007

On 1/31/07, Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Eric Cooper wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 05:14:04PM -0500, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> There is a pstops filter followed by a pstoraster filter, and then
> >> rastertohp (which I presume is the last hop before going out to the HP
> >> printer).   pstops writes one page, but pstoraster says "No pages found!"
> >
> > If you have an HP inkjet printer, try installing the hpijs,
> > hpijs-ppds, and hplip packages.  These are HP's own Linux drivers,
> > rather than the generic CUPS filters.
> >

> Thanks for the tip.. but it didn't work.  It did install and start a new
> set of daemons (hpiod and hpssd), but it still requires cups to be
> running, and cups still fails in an identical fashion (pstoraster reports
> one page of output; rastertohp reports no pages of input).
>
> Is there some way I have to disable cups's own native drivers?

cups will run different filters based on the input and the drivers of
your printer.  It looks like one of these is failing.

I'm assuming you have an officejet (otherwise the hpiod is the wrong
driver).   Are you sure you're using the correct PPD?

And how are you printing from userland?  Also, what specific printer
are your trying to use.

(as a slight aside, I've had very good luck with my HP USB printer)

Cameron