[wplug] laugh

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 10:57:10 EST 2007

On 1/25/07, esw148 at psu.edu <esw148 at psu.edu> wrote:
> heh, that's just to test to see if your computer can connect directly to
> their service using pppoe.  If you use the router, it doesn't matter what
> your computer has.  They tried telling me that it wouldn't work with linux..
> as it happens, i'm using a linux router to connect directly to their service
> with no problem.
>
> About the servers, they do say that you may not run servers, and they also
> block port 80 to prevent you from running a web server on that port,
> however, they don't seem too strict about it.  I have a web server running
> on FIOS using a different port, as well as a mail server, ftp server, and
> ssh access. They've been running for a while now (i think a little less than
> a year)  with no problems.

that sounds about right.  As mentioned in several threads, "you're not
supposed to" means be quiet and don't do something stupid like run an
externally viewable DHCP service or pony up the money for a business
account.

I be a poor student (and have been for around a decade now) - so I'll
leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine which option I've
utilized.  I haven't ever had any real troubles.

Cameron